Saturday, May 9, 2015

Where Have You Been?

So, notice the dates on my posts -- I've been away for a while. 

Translation:  I fell "off the wagon" and have been eating myself into oblivion.

What a roller coaster ride this diabetes is!  Slipping and sliding.

But, I'm back on track and more determined than ever.

I started by:   having my blood work done

                      made an appointment with my doctor for next week

                      shopped for only the foods I should be eating

                      put my sneakers on and started walking again!


About walking.  I do think that the horrendous winter weather played a part in my falling off the diabetic wagon.  Living in the northeast this winter, was not an asset in terms of walking -- hard to do, if you can't get out of your house.  (Talk about slipping and sliding!)  So, you can consider it an excuse, but no way was I willing to risk falling.  I have 11 screws and a plate in my left arm, as a result of a prior fall, so no thanks!  But, in my defense, I did start to walk the mall in the mornings.  Any port in a storm --- and it was ALWAYS a storm.  By the way, I don't know about you, but my "storm foods" have always included potato chips and chocolate chip cookies.  That's what's in my wagon when I'm online with other people who are stocking up on milk, water, and bread, just prior to a blizzard.  Hey!  We all have our "go to's..."

FINALLY, the weather is good again, so out I go.  I'm best when I walk with a friend.  Let's face it, being accountable to someone else does keep us on track.  It's great camaraderie when you have a walking buddy; I highly recommend it.   We discuss everything, but high on our priority list is health.  She's not diabetic, but is health conscious, so we discuss various ways to cook the foods we should be eating, and tools to use so that we don't give in to "temptation."  Those evil carbs!

There's something wonderful that happens in your head when you're doing the right thing for yourself.  It's almost a feeling of euphoria.  Yea Me!  Crazy, but true.

So, I recommend that you pull yourself out of that chair, look squarely into the mirror and say, "THAT'S ENOUGH!  

Make today Day 1.  

Do the "RIGHT" thing.  

You won't regret it.  Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment