Wednesday, June 17, 2015

What Happened to the Travel Posters? :(


What do travel posters have to do with diabetes?  

I've been taking the train from my home into the city forever.  Usually, I pass the time reading a newspaper or book, but there are those days when I people-watch and peruse the posters/ads on the walls of the trains.  

A poster for Air France, splashed across the wall of the train, may have a beautiful photo of the aircraft, along with additional pictures of the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, and the Louvre. As an avid traveler, the photos pull me into my thoughts of Paris and paint a smile across my face. This diversion helps to shorten my trip home.

That's just one example among many; I've traveled, in my mind, to Germany, London, Africa, Russia, thanks to these posters. In addition to the travel posters, there are many regarding health, education, fashion, etc. All of them help to move the clock forward for many a weary passenger.  

So imagine my surprise, last Monday, while coming home from a class in the city, I looked up, only to see an enormous poster of a chocolate-covered, cream-filled Yodel!  It was dinner time, and I was ravenous.  I looked away, as if not looking at it would make the temptation disappear.  It was SCREAMING at me, Kathy, I'm over here.  Look!  I'm right here. Slowly, I glanced at it again, and I thought I might actually cry. Printed at the bottom of the poster was, 
                Don't resist the temptation.

I scoured the train, looking at every passenger. Satan. He's here. I know it.  

My mouth was watering.  The dark, chocolate-covered Yodel was depicted as a shiny treat consisting of fresh, "devils" food chocolate cake, chock full of creamy white joy! My heart was racing, my palms sweaty. I was in pain.

A conversation took place in my brain. WHY would they write that sentence? It's irresponsible advertising -- Don't they know what they're doing? Of course they doIf it were a bottle of scotch, would they advise the reader not to resist the temptation? I think not.

My destination was approaching. I got up, lowering my eyes to avoid viewing the tempting poster, and moved to the exit in the opposite direction.  It was calling me.  Finally, the doors of the train opened, and I escaped! I ran for my life.  

Once off the train, I never looked back. I walked swiftly along the platform and down the stairs to "safety."  My car was a few rows back; I couldn't wait to get into it.  I started the engine, but not before taking a deep breath.  I counted my blessings.

Managing diabetes is difficult at best. This post may sound like an exaggeration to the non-diabetic, but to those addicted to sugar, I'll bet you can relate.




2 comments:

  1. Irresponsible Ads indeed, a few years I began to notice not just these ads but also the many food companies making, bigger and better items when no other improvements (I use the term loosely) can be imagined. Just turn the page of a magazine and it's staring at you, beckoning you to wrap your lips around (a heart attack waiting to happen) the newest gimmick. It's no wonder we are breeding Heart Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension. I hope those posters are changed soon back to the travel posters or something equally soothing, I admire your strength to not give in to the Yodel gods.

    ReplyDelete