Friday, May 29, 2015

Everyday's Day One

Ugh!  

Today was pitiful.  Some days I just can't get it together -- today was that day.  Other than drinking a lot of water, I did absolutely nothing right in the food department.  Nothing.  Not a vegetable in sight.  No fruit, no walking, nothing positive.  It was bad, really bad.

So, finally, at about four o'clock, I put my big girl pants on, wiped the sugar off my mouth, and headed out to the food store.  Enough of this crap, Kathy --- grow up, I said to myself.

Everyday IS Day One -- no matter what! 

Shopping as a diabetic high on carbs, is hilarious.  (Well, depending on your perspective.)  I found myself complaining about the price of apples.  Mind you, I wasn't bemoaning the price of cookies, when I bought that garbage this morning.  Stop it; just buy them, the healthy me cried.  I did -- Galas, Goldens, Honeycrisps, and Braeburns -- two of each!  I love the variety.  

Moving on to the fish department, I stood in front of the counter, staring at each one straight in the eye.  "You're WAY to expensive!  Ridiculous!"  Interesting, each looked back at me, but none of them replied.  "What?  Salmon, swordfish, flounder can't speak?  What's the problem?  No backbone!  Stand up for yourself!"  Alas, each remained horizontal, basking in the coolness of the ice; ignoring my rant.  The fishmonger looked away.

Because I resented their "attitude," I decided to buy them.  "I'll have one of this, two of that, cut that in half, please."  I ran up the bill -- I'll fix them; I'll eat them -- every damn one of them, I screamed in my own head.

Exhausted, I stepped over to the vegetables.  Do you know what asparagus cost?  Get over it!  I did, and I filled my cart with a variety of incredible colors.  A veritable rainbow of vegetables.

When I returned home, I took a quick nap (carb coma, I guess).  Then, into the kitchen to prepare an epicurean delight on which to base another Day One.  For me Day One can begin at any time of the day -- as long as it begins.

Tomorrow will be another day.  I will start out on the right foot, and move through the day making wise food decisions.  This DEDICATED DIABETIC will move forward, one day at a time, sometimes one meal at a time, determined to win this battle.  My blood sugar will drop to an appropriate level, thanks to the walk I will take first thing in the morning.  All will be well.

I am determined and definitely dedicated to bringing this disease under control!

No comments:

Post a Comment