Saturday, June 13, 2015

A War is Won, One Battle at a Time

Last week I saw an ad in the paper for a free seminar on Diabetes.  There's always something new to learn, right?  I was suspicious, because it didn't take place in a hospital.  I figured the doctor was probably hawking a book, but I'm o.k. with that, so I went with my mind wide open.

The event was held in a hotel --- stop laughing.  LOL, I did too :)  
The room was packed, I took the only seat left.  Never, and I mean never, have I ever heard anyone speak so fast -- I'm talking auction speed!  Some of the terms he spit out were, "concierge medicine, supplements, medications."  I listened anyway.

After his spiel, which lasted an hour, I filed away one important statement. It was a fact that I already knew. It wasn't what he said, it was HOW he said it.     Bluntly.

"You have a choice to make," he said seriously, "What's more important to you, your carbs, breads, cakes, cookies, candy, -- or your FEET?" What's more important, your dairy products, cheese, ice cream, -- or your VISION?"  

He was right.  His words slapped me right across the face. Hard, really hard.  

Driving home, I felt sad.  Quickly, my sadness changed to motivation.  This take-away was exactly what I needed.  Time to move forward.  I removed the word "cheat" from my vocabulary.  

Diabetes is no joke.  

Recently, my struggle has been increasingly difficult. Shopping, any type of shopping, is torture.  You know what I mean.  Almost every store has candy at the register.  Think about it; the hardware store, the craft store, clothing store.  Why?  WHY? I venture in to buy a screwdriver, but the sweet-stuff is always there!  It's calling my name -- Kathy, one piece won't hurt.  You know you want me!  My mouth is watering, and it's not over the screwdriver.  I bite my lip (a sure sign I'm about to slip), my nostrils flare (I really want to smell it; just smell it).  It's so hard to stay on track.

It's true.  It can be torture; but I'm determined.  My feet trump junk food.  Here's my plan:  DON'T EVEN LOOK. If there are magazines, read the covers.  FOCUS on the purchase, not the surrounding temptations.  Finally, cha-ching, my item(s) paid for, and I've made it out of the store without caving into temptation.  Another battle won!  

Nobody ever told me this would be easy.  I don't know about you, but I never thought it would be this much of a challenge.  Now, with my renovated attitude, do you know what I say to that moaning and groaning? Tough! Just DO it, Kathy. I'm well aware that my quality of life, my life, is at stake.  

I choose good health.

And the war continues. I will win!  One day-at-a-time.

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't it seem like a never ending battle? Sigh, we have to be ever vigilant in protecting our good health, which is by no means easy. I applaud you for being so proactive in guarding your health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Deb. It IS a never-ending battle. But, we can do it. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete