Saturday, June 20, 2015

Is It Even Possible..?


IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE TO RAISE YOUR BLOOD SUGAR, SIMPLY BY THINKING ABOUT JUNK FOOD???

No way, right?  Here's what happened ---

I started the day by eating that first important meal later in the day than is my normal routine.  I ate the correct portions of the healthy foods I'd planned for breakfast. At this point, my blood sugar was perfecto!

Skipped having a snack -- no need, because I got up late. (I know, I know.)

Company was coming for lunch, so I went to the store to get a few healthy items to be sure I'd stay on track.  It was difficult shopping. I was getting hungry, and guess what was calling me?  Yep, my favorite junk foods.  

I stuck to my list, while -- Kathy, one little cookie won't hurt you was being screamed through my head.  I flew past the candy aisle -- detoured down another section, to avoid the pastries in the Bakery.  I'm almost out. WHY can't I get this junk out of my head????

The real test was still ahead, the dreaded line at the register.  It was my turn and, as I've been doing lately, I faced the conveyor belt, placed my items on it, with my back to the you know what. I REFUSED to listen to the York Peppermint Patties, Hershey bars, and Reeses' Pieces, singing in unison to get my attention. Focusing on the register and my items moving along, I jumped further up and started packing -- fast, really fast.  "Thank you, have a nice day," from the cashier, and I was on my way to the car.  Safe.

Thoughts of what had just happened bounced around my brain on the short drive home. Why is this still happening?  I'm doing so well. 

Company arrived and we enjoyed our conversation and lunch.  Mine was just a sandwich and half an apple. (Normally, I cut one slice of toast horizontally so I'm still having a "real" sandwich, but only one slice of bread.)  What happened?  No clue.  We were talking and laughing. My brain was somewhere else, and I didn't even notice what I'd done.  2 slices consumed, a "regular" sandwich. Ugh. I determined that it would be fine --- no cheese, mayo, etc., so maybe that would make up for the extra slice. No dessert for me.

Doesn't sound like a big deal, right?  

Imagine my surprise when, later,  I stabbed my finger and that healthy blood seeped out onto the test strip and the numbers went UP!!! I was crazed.  How could this be?  Impossible.  NO, NO, NO!

I grabbed that miserable glucometer and looked more closely, hoping that I'd read it wrong.  I shook it, turned it over, shook it again.  It MUST be broken.  

Of course, at this moment, I'm vulnerable. Creeping in, 
ever-so-slowly, and then like a barrage of gunfire, my thoughts ran amuck!  ALL I could think about were all things covered in chocolate. Finally, 

     that's it! I'm going to Dollar Tree.  Candy, cookies, cakes, were      in my future-- and only $1/each.  I don't care.  Nothing's working, blah, blah, blah. All I did was THINK about the tempting treats, and my blood sugar went up.  There's no justice in this world, I ranted in my mind to my "crazy" self.

By the time I'd put my shoes on, bag and car keys in hand, ready to go, I had a sudden epiphany.  

Are you nuts? (Yes.)  Stop!  You've worked too hard to cave now. I sat down and listened to my now sane self speaking the voice of reason.  I didn't go. But, I was concerned that it wouldn't be long before I did.

What to do..?  Something else has to change--

No comments:

Post a Comment