Monday, June 1, 2015

THE WHITE STUFF ---


Honest to God, there's NO doubt in my mind that sugar is addictive.  I know it -- I've always known it.  But, somehow "knowing" it isn't "accepting" it.

I've accepted that my sugar addiction is for real -- for a very long time; but, I've never put myself into the same category as a drug addict.  Not me!  Even years ago, while pregnant (I mean REALLY pregnant) when I walked my trusty Irish Setter up to the candy store to get a "newspaper," in the snow (I mean SNOW!!!), even then, I didn't see it as a problem.  The walk will do us good, said I to my crazy self.  Truth was, I couldn't have cared less about the newspaper -- it was a candy store!  

I was obsessive, as an almost new mother, about what I ate.  Fish, vegetables, fruit.  Careful, really careful.  The problem:  I had no clue at the time that sugar wasn't healthy.  I swear -- that's the truth!  No one knew.  My doctor never mentioned it, the incredible amount of books I read about pregnancy didn't list it as a topic.  Who knew?  I ingested what today we call "junk food."  

But, that was many moons ago -- now I know better.  Therefore, I "should" do better.  Right?  Not so easy.  I wasn't diagnosed with Type 2 until eons later, and by then I was hooked.  Candy, cookies, cake, you name it.  For years, I ate the "white stuff" in any form I could get it, breads, pies, pizza; I thought those were healthy foods!  

I've been known to fall for the camouflage too.  You know, the sauces -- glazed, demi-glazed, gravies, flambes.  It's all the same.
Sugars, carbs = SATAN.  All the same.

My nephew has a dog they call DA.  It stands for Dumb Ass!  Sorry, but he's pretty stupid; cute, but stupid.  Sometimes when I make the wrong food choices, I look in the mirror and DA is looking back at me...

I'm sort of angry about it.  

There's really not much difference today than there was years ago, is there?  Yes, the general population is more educated on the topic.  We KNOW sugar is "bad" for us, but you only have to go food shopping to see the young mothers filling up their wagons with foods that are chock full of the white stuff!  I'm sure they're proud not to be feeding their families heroin.  

But, look at the research.  Is there much difference?  

You know what I mean.  Don't you?


No comments:

Post a Comment